A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds – “What does love mean?” The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined.
- When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth. Billy – age ?
- Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other. Karl – age 5
- Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your french-fries without making them give you any of theirs. Chrissy – age 6
- Love is what makes you smile when you’re tired. Terri – age 4
- Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK. Danny – age 7
- Love is what’s in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen. Bobby – age 7 (Wow!)
- If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate. Nikka – age 6 (we need a few million more Nikka’s on this planet)
- Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, and then he wears it every day. Noelle – age 7
- During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn’t scared anymore. Cindy – age 8
- My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don’t see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night. Clare – age 6
- Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken. Elaine-age 5
- Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford. Chris – age 7
- Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day. Mary Ann – age 4
- I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes, and has to go out and buy new ones. Lauren – age 4
- When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you. Karen – age 7
- You really shouldn’t say ‘I love you’ unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget. Jessica – age 8
- The winner was a four (4) year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman’s yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there. When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said – “Nothing, I just helped him cry.”
Scripture teaches that God is Love. We all need more of God in our lives.
Chaplain Ronnie Melancon
Categories: Chaplain Ronnie Melancon