God Is: RESURRECTION
FOUNDATIONAL STONES –Trinity – Revelation – Image – Creation – Judge – Covenant – Incarnation – Cross – TODAY GOD IS RESURRECTION
WHAT IS RESURRECTION?
Jesus Christ raised from the dead on the third day after his Crucifixion. Celebrated as Easter – VICTORY over sin, death, and the devil.
Resurrection is Jesus breaking the human cycle of destruction.
– Jesus died to defeat sin.
– But He rose to defeat death
NOTE: Jesus didn’t just die for our sins. Many people die for sin – theirs and others. Jesus rose to defeat sin and death.
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8:11 (NASB)
What Does Resurrection Mean to Your Life?
1. Jesus Came to Resurrect Your Hope
2. Jesus Came to Resurrect Your Calling
3. Jesus Came to Resurrect Your Faith
4. Jesus Came to Resurrect Your Joy – Moses face glory – Jeff Murphy shine
5. Jesus Came to Resurrect Your Life
Crucifixion began miracle of Resurrection . Set Jesus apart from all historical martyrs.
– Of the four major world religions only Christianity claims that the tomb of its founder is empty.
– Judaism looks back to Abraham, and still cares for his grave as a holy site at Hebron.
– Thousands visit Buddha’s tomb in India every year.
– Islam founder Mohammed died on June 8, 632 AD, and his tomb visited by millions
KISS – Keep It Simple…..Saint
– If Jesus is dead, then Christianity is dead.
– If Jesus is alive, then Christianity is alive.
Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:17: “If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile, and you are still in your sins.”
Jesus said… “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.”
BIBLICAL EVIDENCE THE RESURRECTION?
1. Jesus’ resurrection was prophesied. Isaiah 53:8-12 – said He’d be born into humble circumstances to live a simple life, die a brutal death, and then rise to take away our sin.
2. Jesus prophesied His resurrection. (Matthew 12:38-40)
3. Jesus appeared three days after His death. Many touched Him:
– Thomas touched him – Benefit of the doubt!
4. Jesus went out of His way to prove Resurrection:
Jesus Appears to the Disciples
37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.
Luke 24:37-43 (NIV)
Last Supper Communion pre-crucifixion
First Appearance Communion post-resurrection
5. Jesus appeared to crowds of 500 people. 1 Corinthians 15:5-6
6. Toughest Proof – His family worshipped Him as God. James, Jude, and Mary.
NOTE: We don’t have to fight to prove resurrected Christ. He is the TRUTH and doesn’t need us to pull out a knife and cut off ears not willing to hear.
Non-Biblical EVIDENCE FOR RESURRECTION?
– Tacitus – Roman historian – Referred to Jesus’ execution by Pontius Pilate.
– Thallus – Eastern Mediterranean historian. Refers to the darkness at the time of crucifixion. Explained it was a solar eclipse. Science shows there was an eclipse on April 3, A.D. 33 – Believe that’s also the date of Jesus’ death.
– Flavius Josephus, historian – wrote about crucifixion and resurrection. [for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him.] And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.
– Talmud – source code for Jewish law. Documented miracles and His resurrection –claimed magic.
– Saul / Paul – Persecuted Christians. Oversaw stoning of Stephen. Radical encounter with God.
– Jews – Did not deny tomb was empty, but said body was stolen.
The Guards’ Report
11 While the women were on their way,
NOTE: How awesome God used women to share an accurate report of Jesus’ resurrection.
NOTE: Look how men behaved in John 20:3-8
So Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb. Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first.
…some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened.
NOTE: Only some of the guards. Skilled units do not split up or leave their own behind. They knew they messed up on an unimaginable scale.
12 When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan,
NOTE: When no accountability or integrity, you inward focus for solutions.
…they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, 13 telling them, “You are to say, ‘His disciples came during the night and stole him away while we were asleep.’
NOTE: Elite soldiers surrendered their honor by reporting outside of commanders. Sleeping on duty was punishable by death. Money cursed them like it did Judas.
….14 If this report gets to the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.”
NOTE: The wicked offering power of security they do not possess. Same way Satan tempted Jesus in the desert. All talk – No Power.
…15 So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day.
NOTE: If soldiers had done as instructed – The truth of the bribe would’ve never been known.
How do we Know Jesus was crucified – dead – buried & rose again.
The Bible says so.
Are you a believer? Must trust God’s Word – Not a salad bar.
DO THESE TO STAY CONNECTED
#1. This simple link – https://linktr.ee/scottsilverii – Connects us through encouraging emails sent to you, subscribes you to my teaching YouTube channel, and shows you cool merch supporting ministry missions.Connect to be intentional about our relationship.
PRAYING FOR YOU
There is freedom waiting for you on the other side of tough times. I’m praying that you begin to identify the blessings in your life and focus on them until you breakthrough into a new, anointed light. PLEASE do not hesitate to reach out to me if you need someone to walk through the process with you.
Make sure to get connected at Five Stones Church – we have an incredible community and small groups.
Blessings and Honor,
OUR SHOP IS OPEN
STOP BY OUR SHOP – Every penny goes to ministry!