Today’s Foundational Stones Is WORSHIP
John 4:20-26 (NASB)
Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and yet you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one must worship.” Jesus said to her, “Believe Me, woman, that a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, because salvation is from the Jews. But a time is coming, and even now has arrived, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us.” Jesus said to her, “I am He, the One speaking to you.”
WHAT IS CHRISTIAN WORSHIP?
Scripture Is Clear What Worship IS and ISN’T
God Is Worship – Worship is not a band or popular music.
Worship is your posture before God.
MARRIAGE Between what you see in VISIBLE realm and what God gives in the INVISIBLE realm – (2 Kings 6:17)
And Elisha prayed, and said, “Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
- Hebrew and Greek words for Worship = bow down before, kneeling or face down to pay reverence or make petition.
- When the Bible repeats – it’s important. Worship is used 8,629 times.
- Still think it’s about music?
What It Is:
“To him be the glory forever. Amen. I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.”
– Glory to God is reflected by Priorities
– Does God hold the Glory spot in your life?
NOTE: If you truly Worship God, then you make sacrifices
– God get Firstfruits in Worship like ABEL or leftovers in obligation like CAIN?
Genesis 4 – Cain’s heart was bitter and selfish – God corrected and encouraged – STILL he killed his brother.
– Biblical worship exposes true nature of hearts.
Now I say this: the one who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the one who sows generously will also reap generously. Each one must do just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:6-7 (NASB)
– Refuse to submit and bow down in worship, you’re no better than Cain.
Worship Through God-Pleasing Sacrifices
Through him, therefore, let us offer God a sacrifice of praise continually. For this is the natural product of lips that acknowledge his name. But don’t forget doing good and sharing with others, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
Hebrews 13:15-16 (Complete Jewish Bible)
What Is Worship in Spirit and in Truth?
God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24 (ESV)
Back to ANCHOR SCRIPTURE – Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well:
So Much to Learn from Simple Encounter – Marriage – Identity – Evangelizing – Racial & Cultural Reconciliation and Unity – Salvation – Doctrinal Misunderstandings – Worship
AND… y’all thought it was about a divorced woman getting busted by Jesus!!!!
VERSE – 20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain….
NOTE: She was trapped in the old traditions and understandings of Worship – Like many denominations.
VERSE – …. but you Jews say that the place where one ought to worship is in Jerusalem [at the temple].” 21 Jesus replied, “Woman, believe Me, a time is coming [when God’s kingdom comes] when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22
NOTE: Given false doctrine, personal agenda theology or just wrong information.
– Unless anchored to God’s Word, we Worship what we’re told is worthy of worship – Idols – Fake Worship is Idolatry – Celebs, Sports, Pastors, Money.
– God’s Word brings correction and direction.
VERSE – You [Samaritans] do not know what you worship; we [Jews] do know what we worship, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 But a time is coming and is already here when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit [from the heart, the inner self] and in truth; for the Father seeks such people to be His worshipers.
NOTE: Jesus reveals His truth to her that He, the Jew, is salvation. Jesus is THE ONLY path to the Father – Requires WORSHIP
Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going; how do we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.
John 14:5-6 (NASB)
NOTE: Even people close to Jesus can miss it unless surrendered to worship in truth and spirit.
– True Worshippers – worship the Father in spirit and in truth.
– God seeks people to worship Him in spirit and in truth.
NOTE: God doesn’t need an ego boost from Worship.
- God desires worship in spirit and in truth so we can fully receive Him.
VERSE – 24 God is spirit [the Source of life, yet invisible to mankind], and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
NOTE: God manifested through Creation in the seen realm, but He exists in the unseen, supernatural realm.
NOTE: Worshipping in spirit requires understanding Spirit Side of an unseen realm.
- Worship is a supernatural connection to God.
- Jaded to supernatural / invisible realm of God’s kingdom. Sin – Ourselves
- Worship is our chance to reconnect in the invisible spirit realm.
- Adam and Eve co-existed openly and actively with supernatural realm. Spoke to a snake, walked with God. Literally hung out with Jesus!!! SIN BROKE THAT
VERSE – 25 The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ—the Anointed); when that One comes, He will tell us everything [we need to know].” 26 Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you, am He (the Messiah).”
John 4:20-26 (Amplified Bible)
NOTE: She desires true relationship.
- She made mistakes in search of true love.
- Her flesh would never satisfy supernatural desire for spirit relationship.
- That relationship only grows through Worship.
- Look what Spirit & Truth did in her life – 3,000 folks
True Worship is love in action.
- Worship says I surrender all!!! Do You?
- Worship doesn’t benefit you by the GAIN. Benefits you by the SURRENDER.
- You GIVE in Worship what first fruit God gave you and He gives back an Orchard.
- Will you fall to your face before God and stop worrying what others will say, what your kids will say, what your spouse will say – they should already be laid out before the lord in worship.
- Worship is bowing before God in time, talents, and treasure. God, take it all back because it’s yours anyway. All I want is you, God.
DO THESE TO STAY CONNECTED
#1. This simple link – https://linktr.ee/scottsilverii – Connects us through encouraging emails sent to you, subscribes you to my teaching YouTube channel, and shows you cool merch supporting ministry missions.Connect to be intentional about our relationship.
PRAYING FOR YOU
There is freedom waiting for you on the other side of tough times. I’m praying that you begin to identify the blessings in your life and focus on them until you breakthrough into a new, anointed light. PLEASE do not hesitate to reach out to me if you need someone to walk through the process with you.
Make sure to get connected at Five Stones Church – we have an incredible community and small groups.
Blessings and Honor,
OUR SHOP IS OPEN
STOP BY OUR SHOP – Every penny goes to ministry!