A Beautiful Communion Observance
– Don’t walk through the motions of Communion
Jesus instructed us to do this in remembrance of Him (Luke 22:19)
-Communion is also a chance to reflect on the state of the Body of Christ.
-Would you say the Body of Christ is United? SOCIAL MEDIA BAROMETER
-1 Cor 11:27 tells us not to partake in Communion if we are divisive among other things.
-Paul’s letter to the church in Corinth was not addressed to the Baptist church or Methodist church or catholic church… One church – God’s church.
-Why so many denominations? DIVISION
– Denomination means Division. “The tendency to divide or cause to divide into sects or denominations – division into denominations.”
Culture War – Ammo doesn’t matter as much as Outcome – DIVISION.
– What causes church division? Denominationalism.
– Center for the Study of Global Christianity shows more than 200 in U.S. and 45,000 globally.
Paul doesn’t mince words when talking about saboteurs:
Now I urge you, brothers and sisters, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. For such people are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting.
Romans 16:17-18 (NASB)
Baptism in Spirit is a Baptism in Unity.
Paul’s 1st century letter to Corinth is as true then as now – Culture War to DIVIDE still rages!
1 Corinthians 1:10-13 (NASB)
Now I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete (united) in the same mind and in the same judgment. For I have been informed concerning you, my brothers and sisters, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you. Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am with Paul,” or “I am with Apollos,” or “I am with Cephas,” or “I am with Christ.”
Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he?
Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
Getting to Know PAUL
- Bitten by a poisonous snake after a shipwreck and beheaded as a martyr.
- Over 10,000 miles – BY FOOT! – NY to LA 4 Times
- Paul didn’t start out as a good man
- Can God use everyone? Uses your mess for His message.
- Legacy – Apostle, Missionary, Writer, Martyr –YOUR KINGDOM LEGACY?
YEAH BUT IT WAS A DIFFERENT WORLD BACK THEN – Really?
- Pagan Religion, Cults, Sexual Deviance, Child Sacrifice
- Streets lined with false idols and demonic images – Sound familiar?
The Seduction of Corruption Leads to Your Destruction.
- Division – Cliques around favorite teachers – Paul v. Apollos v. Peter v. Christ
NOT EVEN FIGHTING OVER DOCTRINE – JUST PEOPLE!
- Blinded – to truth that God uses teachers to plant or water BUT only God gives Growth.
- Boasting – in human church leaders – ONLY servants of Christ – Boast in the Lord.
so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
1 Corinthians 1:31
What Does Paul Say About UNITY & Division?
Appeal to Unity
(1 Corinthians 1:10) But I urge you, believers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in full agreement in what you say, and that there be no divisions or factions among you, but that you be perfectly united in your way of thinking and in your judgment [about matters of the faith].
NOTE: Less than a hundred years after Acts 2 Day of Pentecost we have CORINTH
WHY? Culture Created Division
NOTE: Paul trying to bridge division by refocusing everything on Jesus.
- Fellowship with Christ requires fellowship with each other.
- Disagreement Does Not Require Division
- Unity NOT Uniformity
Unity in Christ Celebrates Our Diversity in Life
(1 Corinthians 1:11-13) For I have been informed about you, my brothers and sisters, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are quarrels and factions among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you says, “I am [a disciple] of Paul,” or “I am [a disciple] of Apollos,” or “I am [a disciple] of Cephas (Peter),” or “I am [a disciple] of Christ.” 13 Has Christ been divided [into different parts]? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul? [Certainly not!]
NOTE: No info on Chloe. Assume well known because one name is used and recognized.
NOTE: Paul identifies cliques – Be Direct to Address Division
- You can’t heal what you don’t reveal
- Best way to prevent gossip is give everyone a name.
NOTE: Too Independent
– Seek Self-Satisfaction
- God supplies love, security, identity, and purpose
- Sin & DIVISION – We lost God’s supernatural affirmation
- In that void, we fail to fill it with modern cultural standards of Good & Success
- Each Own Journey – No Unity
- Satan counterfeits, divides, and conquers
Cultural Battle Lines:
How does woke culture of Progressive Christianity ATTACK Scripture of Unity?
There is more than one way to heaven?
Yeshua said, “I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life;
no one comes to the Father except through me.
John 14:6 (Complete Jewish Bible)
How does woke culture of Progressive Christianity COUNTER call to only follow Christ teachings?
I follow people who make me feel better about myself and not guilty about sin.
preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; correct, rebuke, and exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not tolerate sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance with their own desires, and they will turn their ears away from the truth and will turn aside to myths.
(2 Timothy 4:2-4 (NASB)
Today’s WOKE culture of Seeker Sensitive Model main goal is to attract people to join church by not challenging, correcting, or risking offending them with gospel truth of sin, repentance, salvation and sanctification. Calling person a sinner isn’t good for church business, but it’s great for kingdom building.
Culture Control Can Keep You From Christ
BOTTOM LINE – Anyone other than Jesus creates division
- Stay unified
- Stay out of the world
- Stay in God’s Word
NOTE: Need help breaking free from WORLD CULTURE?
Start speaking KINGDOM LANGUAGE – Either Flee or Come See
NOTE: Being Holy, Sanctified and Set Apart is NOT Optional
I beseechyou therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
Romans 12:1 (NKJV)
Separating Yourself From the World Keeps You Together in Christ
Bulletproofing Against Today’s Woke Culture:
- Culture says you’ll be devoured by enemy lions; God says I’ve already shut their mouths against you. Don’t Go Sticking Your Head In Their Jaws!
- Culture says it’s too hot and you’ll get burned; God says there’s another in the fire and not even your clothes will be dryer ready warm.
- Culture says you can’t win: God says sling that rock and let it fly. But You Must Enter The Arena First!
- Culture says you’re not able and stay where you are; God says get out of that boat and walk to Me. But You Gotta Keep Eyes On Jesus.
- Culture says stick to your own kind. Jesus says we are all one Body. But You Gotta Introduce Yourself To Others.
- Culture says there no hope; God says my Son, Jesus is your hope.
- Culture says everything is fluid; God says He is the Rock of Ages.
So trust in the Lord (commit yourself to Him, lean on Him, hope confidently in Him) forever; for the Lord God is an everlasting Rock [the Rock of Ages].
Isaiah 26:4 (Amplified Bible)
CTA: If your church is influenced by today’s culture more than it is influencing today’s culture, you need a new church.
This is how Five Stones does CHURCH:
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
ALTER MINISTRY TEAMS AND CALL
May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
PRAYING FOR YOU
There is freedom waiting for you on the other side of tough times. I’m praying that you begin to identify the blessings in your life and focus on them until you breakthrough into a new, anointed light. PLEASE do not hesitate to reach out to me if you need someone to walk through the process with you.
Make sure to get connected at Five Stones Church – we have an incredible community and small groups.
Blessings and Honor,
OUR SHOP IS OPEN
STOP BY OUR SHOP – Every penny goes to ministry!